Kachna with Kyselé Kraut – Duck
- 1 large duck
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 package cumin seeds
- roasting pan with lid
Kyselé Kraut Ingredients:
- 1 package saurkraut
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup coarse flour + 2 tbsp
- 2-3 tbsp sugar
- 1-2 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 cup water
Roast Duck Steps:
- Take out the innards out of the duck, and place them on the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Season the duck inside and out with salt and pepper, and ½ package of cumin seeds on the outside of the duck.
- Add ½ inch of water in the roasting pan, place the duck on top of the innards, and the top on the pan.
- Roast it at 260 degrees C (500F) for about 30 minutes to 45 minutes, then at 200 degrees C (400F) for 1 to 1.5 hrs longer.
- After 45 minutes, baste the duck with the juices; repeat 2 more times during baking.
- Total cooking time of at least 2 hours.
Kyselé Kraut Steps:
- Take a package of sauerkraut, drain it and then chop it.
- Sauté chopped onion, about 1/3 of a cup.
- Add the kraut to the onion, and sprinkled it with coarse flour (about 1/4 cup),
- Add 2-3 tbsp sugar, 1-2 tbsp cumin, some water (1/2 cup), and over the course of stirring it, he add another 1-2 tbsp flour if necessary to thicken.
Serve the kraut on the side, and ladle the duck and and kraut with duck drippings. Serve knedle on the side as well.