The Omlet recipe is the first recipe in Pauline’s pastry cookbook. I remember when Grandma Pauline would make this for breakfast as a special, sweet treat for her grandchildren. This Omlet recipe makes a sweet, puffy pancake that is baked in the oven, then spread with jam, and rolled.
6 eggs, separated
6 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1/3 cup marmalade or other jam
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a cookie sheet with canola oil lightly.
- Whisk together 6 egg yolks and 6 tablespoons sugar
- Whip together 1 tablespoon of flour with the 6 whites of eggs, until soft peaks
- Fold egg yolk mixture into egg whites
- Spread the egg mixture onto the cookie sheet, smoothing it out into one large or three small round disks, about 1 inch in depth.
- Bake until gold, about 10 minutes.
- Spread the jam over the cake, and immediately roll it into a jellyroll when the cake is still warm.
- Sprinkle with vanilla sugar or powdered sugar, and serve, sliced.