Melon Soup with Proscuitto
We’re overrun with canteloupe melon lately, and I have been eating it for breakfast and dessert daily. I decided to finish up the last of it by making a quick, cold soup for dinner. I got the idea for the recipe from the appetizer I make, melon squares wrapped with a thin slice of prosciutto ham. A nice light meal might also include a salad and a piece of good crusty bread.
I was thinking you could also serve this soup in a super cold shot glass, as an amuse-bouche, with a skewered piece of ham on a toothpick laid across the top of the glass.
- About 4 cups melon, cut up into chunks
- 2 cups plain yogurt, or fat free sour cream
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger (or 1 tsp dry)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- juice of 1 small orange
- 1/3 cup chopped white onion
- dash of salt
- a few pieces of prosciutto (salty cured ham, thinly sliced)
- few leaves of fresh herbs – mint, basil or parsley for garnish
- Blend the melon, ginger, onion, sour cream, juices and salt together in a food processor until smooth
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hrs
- Pour into bowls, garnish with ham and leaves
- Serve and enjoy