Čokoládova Roláda is another recipe found in Pauline’s handwritten cookbook. Slovak for “chocolate roulade”, it is also called “swiss roll” by the British. The cake originates from Central Europe, not Switzerland, as its name implies. The cake is also found in France (Bûche de Noël) and in Spain (where they call it brazo de gitano – gypsies’ arms). Pauline would make this fancy sponge cake for special occasions. The souffle-like batter is commonly used in Pauline’s cakes, using whipped eggwhites as the leavening agent. As a child, I especially liked helping her with this recipe as I liked to assemble the cake and lick the whipped cream off the beaters. I still like it.
- 4 egg-yolks
- 4 egg whites, whipped stiff
- 12 dg of sugar (1/2 cup)
- 12 dg of chocolate (cocoa) (1/2 cup)
- 12 dg of butter, melted (1/2 cup)
- 12 dg of cake flour (1/2 cup)
1. Cream together eggs yolks and sugar until light and creamy
2. Add in cocoa, butter and flour
3. Whip egg whites to a stiff peak
4. Fold egg whites into yolk batter gently
5. Spread cake batter onto a jellyroll pan that is sprayed with cooking spray, then lined with a piece of parchment paper that is also sprayed
6. Bake at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes
7. After removing the cake from the oven, cool slightly, then lift out of the pan by the parchment paper and turn onto a piece of tinfoil; peel off the parchment paper carefully
8. Gently roll the cake from the short end into a jelly roll shape and wrap the tinfoil around it to maintain its shape
9. After the cake has cooled, unroll it, then spread it with the desired filling(s), and re-roll, tightly, leaving the ends loose.
10. Wrap the tinfoil around again, and refrigerate at least 4-8 hours.
11. Remove from tinfoil and sprinkle with sifted, powdered sugar.
12. Garnish with fresh fruit.
Pauline filled her sponge roll with homemade strawberry, cherry or raspberry jam (melted first) and whipped cream. For an elegant twist, try my chestnut mousse instead of whipped cream, and a liquor in place of the jam.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
Whip the cream on high, slowing sprinkling in the sugar and vanilla, until stiff peaks.